2.03.2010

Noise, Silence, Words


"Words like violence break the silence-Come crashing in into my little world-Painful to me, pierce right through me"

These are lyrics from a Depeche Mode song, "Enjoy the Silence"
I have enjoyed some silence but not nearly enough of it. I was raised with noise. Not so much loud noise but a lot of background noise. The radio or television always playing in the background. I still have the habit. I can't walk into the house and not have music or t.v. on in the background. What goes on externally also goes on inside my head. No, not voices in my head. Just my voice. My mom told me one time, a long time ago, "you think too much". It's true. Internalize it, keep it in there, turn it, toss it, mull it over, obsess about it, re think it, re invent it, on and on.
My life is at a stage where I want to "Enjoy the Silence". I like to "chat" but am not a habitual talker. I have lived for many years with a habitual talker. Maybe I don't talk so much because I have trouble getting a word in or maybe I just don't talk that much. I had to talk a lot in my previous profession, listening was more important but I did my fair share of talking. Sometimes it was light and superficial and a lot of times it was heavy or deep. I enjoyed the listening part and feel much wiser for it. I think there is a saying about being wise and being a listener rather than opening your mouth and showing how unwise you really are.
I am going to make the effort to enjoy the silence and use it to listen and think, but not too much...

0 comments: