8.07.2008



Wow... I was informed by the WA state board of cosmetology that I have to take the practical and written exams to get a license to do hair in their fabulous state. I use the word fabulous VERY loosely. I am not happy about this at all. I haven't even looked at testing materials in 24 years. Working in a salon in no way helps you to test for a license. They truly are totally different animals. I am really thinking about taking a new career path. I am not so sure that I want to test. I am really insulted right now. Maybe when I am done licking my wounds and stop feeling sorry for myself and stop taking this as a personal attack, I will change my mind... I doubt it... I may not have the hair thing in me anymore. It will take me at least a year or more to build a clientele and gain the trust of shop owners as well as clients. Having to prove yourself 5 times a day or more at my age sucks. I think I am getting to old for this crap. I LOVE doing hair, I LOVE my H.D. clients but I don't love the career enough to do what the state wants from me. I have been in the cosmetology business since October of 1983. I have always done hair, I have worked when Bob couldn't because of school or work was slow in construction. It was never a billion dollars but the potential to make good money was there and I often did. I think I am still in a state of shock even though I found out about 2 hours ago. Bob was trying to help me by talking to me about it but I was in no mood...
I have held two licenses, one in Calif. and one in Missouri. Neither requires a current license holder to retest in practicals. Practical tests are performed on a doll head and you have to pretend to do all of these procedures that I have never done on a live victim!
Well boo hoo for me, thanks for letting me vent, if you didn't want to even finish this blog post today, I wouldn't blame you. I am Debbie Downer today... I guess I will be one of those people who has to find out what they are besides the job they hold, I will begin my identity crisis now...

0 comments: