12.07.2009

I would like you to meet someone...


His name is Jake Olson. The girls and I met him last night on the ABC news. Tho, not in person, we did see him and his story on the television...

"When Jake was a year old, he was diagnosed with retinoblastoma, a condition in which cancerous tumors develop in the retina, in both eyes. Doctors removed his left eye, but with chemotherapy and radiation, they were able to save his right.

That right eye has shown him his world -- the faces of his parents, his twin sister, Emma, the surf near his home in Huntington Beach, Calif., and the fairways and greens of nearby golf courses, where he and his father play as often as they can.

The cancer has returned eight times, and each time, Jake beat it. However, this past September, he learned it had come back again, and this time treatment didn't work. Doctors told him they would have to take his right eye, too.

With more than a month before his surgery, Jake told his parents that what he wanted to see most one last time was another USC Trojans game. His wish reached Trojan head coach, Pete Carroll.

"The first thing was let's make sure that he gets inside and gets to see everything that he wants to see," Carroll said. "God bless him, he deserves every bit of it."

The Trojans invited Jake to practice Oct. 14, where he was introduced to his favorite player, center Kris O'Dowd. It wasn't long before a bond was born between the fellow centers."







So he has surgery and USC players go to the hospital to be with the family and Jake and then after he recovers he gets to go back for a game and says that the game was EVEN BETTER without his sight because it made it so exciting in his head.

What the hell is wrong with me? I have my sight, my children are ultra healthy. I am pitiful in whining about my stupid life. I have many many blessings and will concentrate on those. I am making my New Year's resolution early. I will put it as eloquently as possible... Shut the hell up and be thankful and quit with the pity parties that you occasionally invite yourself to.

1 comments:

Grammie said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing this - does make you appreciate all we have huh! God is to be praised...