I have heard it said that Christmas is for children. Having my own children did make me appreciate the holiday season so much more but I couldn't put my whole 100% into it because I was a working mom with two small children. Seeing everything through their eyes did bring back some of that hard to find Christmas spirit.
Now I am the mother of teenagers and the Christmas feeling has scampered off to find others with small children. Lucky for me, I have been in the company of some young children lately and have seen the fun of it all. It started with my cousins children. They had their trees up, had gingerbread house decorating parties,etc.
The cousins are all young and still so innocent and sweet when it comes to all things Baby Jesus and Santa. Now I am lucky enough to be in the company of my five year old niece for the holiday season. She is decorating cookies, helping her dad put up Christmas lights, singing carols at school, telling us about Santa coming to her house and bringing her a telescope. It's refreshing to get to be a part of that again.
We adults have to try to find the mood, get into the spirit. It isn't our fault. It's hard to get excited about spending more money than you have, cooking more than usual, adding parties, school programs, extra errands to your already hectic schedule and having 20 extra people sleeping in your house and eating your food. We have to be responsible, still go to work and then feel bad because we aren't getting into the spirit. We all need to have some children in our lives to remind us of the wonder and awe.
12.21.2009
What Christmas is All About
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment