9.11.2009

The Weekend


Well the weekend isn't over yet but since I am not anticipating anything eventful, I will blog about what I got so far.
Went to the game last night. Bob didn't go, he had to work Fri, Sat and Sunday. I took Riley and her friend Maggie. We stopped and got some dinner and got to the game early. Getting there early was my idea, I wanted to sit up at the top of the bleachers so I could see what was going on.
The girls and I trudged up to the top after visiting with Sid for a bit. I got all settled with blanket to sit on, hat, sunglasses, etc. The girls decided that they were way to popular to sit with me so they hung out down at the bottom of the bleachers where everyone walks by. This way Sid's high school friends can say hi to her and she feels pretty grown up.
As people start to show up, I start to see parents with their school team shirts, blankets and thermal cups sit down around me. Some of the moms give me the once over and chat amongst themselves. I soon realize that this is like the church of your bad dreams. You know the one, where everyone sits in the same pew every Sunday as if that pew has their name engraved on it and if you make a mistake and sit there, well, then you will risk going to eternal hell and damnation.
So I shift my gaze around and take it all in. I start to think that I may move. It is just me, by myself. I know no one, no husband, nothing. I decide to stay right where I am at. They are all around me now, the 40 something pep squad. I tell myself that I have just as much right to sit there as they do and I am not moving. It may have been my team baseball cap and sunglasses that made me unapproachable, but no one is talking to me. Just kinda giving me the once over. Finally a mom sits to my left and looks over at me. She asks me which son is mine? I tell her its the cute girl in the red shirt down on the field. She knows all about Sid because she brought food to the team practice and met Sid. That was a great ice breaker. A while later, another mom asks me who my son is, and I explain again. She wants to give me her card, she is a hairdresser. Funny huh? Then they introduce me around to some of the nicer moms and even invite me to the tailgate party for next week's game. The two original moms that gave me the once over and made me feel like an outsider never did talk to me or introduce themselves. That is their loss, I wont share any of my tailgating good stuff with them! So there!
The photo above is from the channel 7 news. We were the "Game of the Week" and got it televised. Sid was even on t.v. for a minute as she was down on the field this week.
Today we were at the lake all day. I tried to get there a bit early so I could catch up with my aunt. We hadn't chatted in a long while about my job, etc. It was a lovely relaxing day and now I am ready for the bed...

0 comments: