9.24.2009

Just One More Cup...


I am still fighting inside my head, make more coffee or stop and move on... Lots to type about so maybe I better have one more cup.
Girls have early release on Wednesdays. I picked them up and off we went to run some errands. Sid had asked me the evening before if I had some reading suggestions for her and of course I did. I gave her names of some books that I really enjoyed reading when I was her age and still love today. We went to Barnes and Noble and picked a couple of them up. I got a new book from one of my most beloved authors. He hasn't written a work of fiction for more than a decade so it was like reuniting with an old friend. Riley is reading a book that my mom had gotten her and that Sid had just finished. She picked out a few things to read as well. I was relieved, she has read, re read and read again that stinkin' Twilight series. Aaagghhhh....
Went to Sid's open house last nite. We had to follow her schedule with 20 minutes in each class. I was feeling pretty good, til we got to her math class. I sat right up front which was new for me, thinking that I am an adult now and the parent of a student here. I understood the class room policies, got some of the grading policies but when he started asking us some advanced algebra questions, I went mute. He even had one parent go to the white board(they don't use chalk boards anymore people) and do an entertaining exercise. I was not amused. As mentally challenged as I felt, I did puff up with pride that my 14 year old is in advanced algebra and that she understands what her teacher is saying. He is also her advisory teacher and both Bob and I liked him. He appears to be about 19 years old tho... Off to Language Arts next. I usually LOVE this class and love the subject matter as well as the teacher. I always feel like this person is someone I could have long chats at Starbucks with. Not last night. This woman was not my cup of tea. She brought up a few things that I did not even understand or know but again I had my daughter to interpret for me. She did mention that she was UBER tired of Twilight books so that made me smile. I guess that what the students in her class are reading is pretty varied and mature. I always read books that were not age appropriate, always to old with sketchy content. I feel like I have been a good balance of open to watchful as far as what the girls read. I kinda feel like I learned more than most kids. I was a voracious reader and mature for my age so lots of books that were for my age were too boring to me. I have always talked with the girls about what they are reading and usually either check them out at the library or buy them for the girls. My mom is the one that started me on my road to book obsession and she has made some choices for my girls as well. Anyway, this Lang. Arts teacher is going to be okay for one year but I look forward to Sid having others as well. I hope she enjoys the books that I picked for her and if not, I am glad I have them in my permanent library. Our favorite class was her Athletic Injuries class. The teacher is great, probably 19 as well, funny and cute. He is also one of the coaches for the football team. Tomorrow night Sid gets to help tape up the players ankles for extra credit. She really really likes this class and surprised herself with that fact. She will be calling on her uncle Kev for some help with her final project. Sid's Spanish teacher was not my favorite either, I would have not liked her either. She and my daughter have already had one small encounter and I am afraid I would have to agree with Sid. I don't usually take sides in cases like this, you will always have instructors and bosses in your life that you wont love but will have to learn to get along with. I do know that in her entire school career, Sid has never had a teacher get cross with her. We are used to getting loads of compliments about her behavior and her citizenship grades back it up. More often than not, when Sid shows displeasure with a teacher, I kinda have to secretly agree with her. Good judge of character like her mother.
I must be off, my car still have my shopping purchases in the back of my car!

0 comments: