
Windy day with rain on the way. None yet but dark outside and cold. Looks very winter-like out there. Last night, Bob built the first fire in the fireplace. We finally got a screen in the style we like, kind of mission, craftsmen looking and it had to be big enough for our fireplace. The actual firebox is is huge, Bob says he doesn't have to do much chopping and cutting of wood to make it fit. Quite a different process than our wood burning stove in California. The flame, crackling sound and heat made the room so comfortable and inviting. It was so nice. If we could just get some actual firewood that would help. We don't pay for firewood. Bob has always provided us with ample firewood. Where he has worked, etc. he has had access to plenty of it. The irony is that we now live in the land of trees and have no firewood. He has brought home some scraps here and there but nothing substantial. We have looked into the government websites for forestry management but they don't have a surplus of downed trees and aren't issuing any firewood permits. Go figure...
So I have had the heater on, it has been really chilly. The girls were bundled up this morning for their walk to the bus stop.
Both girls are having some issues with some of their classes. I will be calling tutors today. It has become obvious that we need outside help. Riley has a GPA that must maintain in order to stay in her school. Let's just say that it may be a stretch. She gets extra credit in her science class if she can successfully grow a Lima bean and get it to bloom and then get an actual bean from her plant. I am willing to plow a 20x20 foot plot out back to grow a billion Lima beans if it will bring her grade up.
I am trying to impress upon her that I have already passed the sixth grade and now it is her turn.
The news is reporting power outages due to the winds. I guess I better do what I need to do in case we lose power.
I am using my blog to avoid the tidying up I must do, so let me excuse myself for now.
10.13.2009
Flame
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(279)
-
▼
October
(28)
- A Tree Falls in Kirkland
- Just Thursday
- Its Wednesday All Ready
- Bowling
- While I in no way profess to be a great chef of Me...
- No title
- Calm Before the Storm
- The view from my living room window... It's like a...
- The Little Girl
- Football and Dances
- No title
- A New Look
- A Season That I Love
- Eyes Open
- Raining Cats & Dogs
- Good Day
- Flame
- Who Knew?
- Natalie comes home today
- Crab Apples
- It is a Friday
- That Face...
- The Big One Five
- I Play a Doctor on T.V.
- Hormones, Sore Throats and Homework
- Homecoming Pictures
- Getting it all together
- Homework Hangover
-
▼
October
(28)
0 comments:
Post a Comment