Sid's second to last game was last night. We all assumed it was the last game and technically it was. They are playing again next week at home and it's kind of a "we didn't get to playoffs so let's play one more for fun" game.
We did win last night like everyone figured. The school we played doesn't have a winning record. What they do have is an incredible band program. One out of every three students plays an instrument. They had grades 5,6 and 7 along with the high school band last night and that was the half time show. It was really really good. The band dressed in Halloween costumes and they were VERY good and some were truly hilarious. They played Michael Jackson's "Thriller" and then set their instruments down and did the Zombie dance from the video. It was great. There were about 800 band members on the field at one time. I am happy to report that it didn't start raining until the 3rd quarter. We were so far ahead in the score that Bob and I packed it up and sat in the car for the last 10 minutes of the 4th quarter.
Just before the game started we got a text from Riley. She had decided to not go to the game and was staying home. She informed us that a tree had fallen over in the back yard. It's funny because the wind had been blowing pretty good all day. When we were leaving for the game I commented to Bob about how much those large trees sway in the wind. I had never really paid much attention before. He just kind of smiled and looked at me like I was a 4 year old child who had lived in a barrel in back woods of Kentucky my whole life. I told him that I knew the fragility of the trees was obvious when you watch the evening news and see how many trees fall on houses, cars and electrical lines all over western Washington. I punctuated my response with a look that said "you are a bigger dumb ass than I gave you credit for."
So guess who is in the back yard with his chainsaw cutting apart a tree that fell in our backyard an hour after our conversation? HA! I hate to brag about being right but...
Lucky for all involved that it wasn't a large evergreen, it was a fairly decent sized Dogwood. Bob had mentioned a few days ago that it might in fact be dead because the leaves were all dead and shriveled and the tree had not dropped them. Well, I guess we figured it was dead. Hopefully it didn't do much damage to the small evergreen that it landed on but other than that it didn't do any harm. Riley handled it well and sent us some pictures via text message. She told us that she didn't need us to come home. When I called her later to check on her, she said that the leaves blowing around outside made it seem kind of creepy out but that she was fine.
Today is Halloween, pumpkin carving, etc. I am going to motivate myself now and head to the grocery store. I don't have any candy because I don't think anyone in their right mind would venture down our very long, dark driveway for a few Smarties and a Tootsie Pop. I will get some candy just in case but will make sure it is something we like. Riley will be with her BFF and I think Sid is staying home with us unless she and Bob decide to brave it out at the "Haunted Trails" a few miles away.
10.31.2009
A Tree Falls in Kirkland
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(279)
-
▼
October
(28)
- A Tree Falls in Kirkland
- Just Thursday
- Its Wednesday All Ready
- Bowling
- While I in no way profess to be a great chef of Me...
- No title
- Calm Before the Storm
- The view from my living room window... It's like a...
- The Little Girl
- Football and Dances
- No title
- A New Look
- A Season That I Love
- Eyes Open
- Raining Cats & Dogs
- Good Day
- Flame
- Who Knew?
- Natalie comes home today
- Crab Apples
- It is a Friday
- That Face...
- The Big One Five
- I Play a Doctor on T.V.
- Hormones, Sore Throats and Homework
- Homecoming Pictures
- Getting it all together
- Homework Hangover
-
▼
October
(28)
0 comments:
Post a Comment