2.10.2009

9th Graders Get Embarrassed


I have no photo that pertains to my theme today so am going with Valentine decor. I love the colors of Valentine's Day, those and Easter colors. My brother in law is having some health issues, possible gall bladder removal? He will be one of many in my family including his wife, my sister and myself. We have been where he is at and feel for him. My sister and I agreed that we would rather give birth than ever go through the pain of gall stone and pancreatitis. He goes to the doctor tomorrow morning for tests so we shall see. Meanwhile she is keeping him doped up.
Had a meeting last night at Sid's soon to be high school. It started out kind of scary. Right before we left we heard a really loud noise and Sid informed us she also saw a flash of bright light. Lightning and thunder. Then all hell broke loose with hail and frozen rain shooting down. Bob, Sid and I trudge out to the car and on the way to the high school, more hail and frozen rain, more lightning and thunder. Riley calls to tell us she is fine. We make the decision to keep going and not turn around and go home. Lucky for Riley there was no more thunder. When we arrived at the school, they ushered us into the performing arts theater and had a quartet(students)that played for us as we found seats and settled in. When the quartet finished they introduced two girls that were to play the flute. Man, they were good. All of these students had won awards. The principal, counselors and teachers spoke to us as well as the A.S.B. and activities director. So far so good. Sid saw a few of her friends/boys and was self conscious and embarrassed the whole time(9th graders). I was just happy that we got to sit in real seats and not on bleachers. Next we were escorted into the school's library to talk with the department heads of each subject. Sid did look at some of the books for some of her classes and we got a list of clubs, etc. We impressed upon her that she needs to join a club or two and get involved that way. It looks really good on college apps.,etc. I asked her if she would like to continue her mom and aunt's legacy and become a stat girl. She said she didn't know or didn't think so or some other flimsy excuse so I let it go. She and I are milling around and looking for Bob. I see he is talking with two gentlemen. I could tell right away that they are football coaches and or athletic directors. He leaves them after chatting for a while and we meet to leave. Bob tells us that he asked them if they need a sophomore stat girl. Without my prompting or us even talking about it before hand. Bob starts questioning Sid and in typical Bob fashion, does not take her hesitance as a no. I suggest that we go back and speak to the coach and have Sid introduce herself. We did just that and he was so enthused about it. Sid didn't get too excited til we got into the car, she is just nervous about the daunting task of high school. Today she goes back up there with all of the 9th graders so we will talk to her about it tonight.
Snowing lightly, but no late start for school. Today is supposed to be the last day of that and turn to more normal weather. Errands and housework and will start my packing for AZ. Listening to the news and Mr. President is in Florida talking up his stimulus package.
Have a fabulous Tuesday and stay warm and dry.

0 comments: