9.19.2008

Pulling on Those Apron Strings


My stomach is in knots. My heart is beating at an unhealthy rate. My youngest darling daughter informed me yesterday that she wanted to "walk to school with her friend Geoffrey". Could you just imagine the high pitched screaming, wailing, keening that went off inside my brain??? I stumbled, stuttered and mumbled some inane words like we'll see, are you sure, blah blah blah. Luckily, last night was "curriculum night" at her school and we got to meet the Geoffrey parents. They are not thrilled with their precious 5th grader walking either but employment prohibits them from taking him and picking him up from school. Bob was my mirror image when Riley told him she wanted to walk to school. He muttered and stumbled around just as artfully as I had. So what did we end up letting her do this morning? Walk with Geoffrey. But... don't be too alarmed... I secretly followed them the whole way.
Riley didn't spot me until the last 2 minutes of her journey. There was no way in hell I was gonna let her walk to school with out adult supervision! Bob and I did take her on the route and explained about cross walks, signals, not stopping at Starbucks on the way(there is one on the way, big surprise) and getting there in a timely fashion. Besides, Geoffrey is a seasoned pro.
I am exhausted mentally. My baby... walking to school... it's more than I can bear.
Bob should be calling me any minute to find out what happened. So... I am going to go throw up now, shower and go to Costco for some retail therapy. Luckily Geoffrey is not walking home, his parents are picking him up and they are gone for the weekend so I get to pick her up, in my car, in my care, safe with her mom for a few more days...

0 comments: