12.07.2008

Learning or Relearning


This is a picture of my new best friend. She is a mannequin head for cosmetology students. They are okay for learning but they generally tend to pretty much suck. Their hair is human but it isn't very human like. You just can't replicate a real head of hair that well. I spent 4 hours with her (not really this one, but a reasonable facsimile)the class went well. I had two major things working against me. I did things like a stylist not a student and I don't remember things from school or the boards since it was 1985 when I did this last. So, my instructors said that I did well but I know and they suggested that I practice. So my two darling daughters will replicate that lovely mannequin head shown above. You use color, perm solution and straightening solution that are simulated. That means COLD heavy conditioner mixed with thick styling gel applied to the hair, they are not gonna love me. Plus fake perm wrapping. Anyone would think "You have done 40 million perms and color applications and been a hairstylist for 10 thousand years, you will be fine". WRONG. You gotta do THEIR way. They don't care how your haircut looks or anything aesthetically speaking. It's about safety and sanitation. You have to cut a certain way that is safe, you have to wrap a perm safely, blah blah blah...SO that is what I will work on, not to mention the FACIAL and the MANICURE. I haven't done those since the last boards. So I will busy practicing. I have to say overall, I did do okay. When I was finished, I went and did some Christmas shopping and met my cousin for happy hour at Bellevue Square. That was fun! It's soooo pretty in downtown Bellevue with all of the lights and decor and skyscrapers. I love it. We had such a nice time.
While I was gone yesterday, Bob and the girls got the outside lights up and the girls set up the tree. Today we will work on that some. Riley has a family heritage project due. She is doing England. She finished her family crest and family tree and now we will work on the flag. We are supposed to show the family name "motto" which Sid translated from Latin for us. It was much more dignified than the family motto I thought we should have. I wont go into detail...

1 comments:

PAPA2 3 said...

The best part about your new friend is that she is one customer that cannot talk back or offer styling suggestions that just won't work on their head!!!

You will pass with FLYING COLORS!!!