12.08.2008

New Technology


Many of you got an email from me in regards to my new cell phone number. It was a very anxious hour for me that I spent in the cell phone store. Thankfully the two people helping me were very understanding. For those of you that got that email you may skip this part of the post. For those that don't know, I have had the same cell phone number for 14-15 years. Bob and I got OUR first mobile phone by way of buying a used SUV from his boss that came with the mobile phone bolted to the floor of the car. You had to sit in the car to use it and you could set it up to honk the horn when it rang so you could hear it if you weren't in the car. My parents had a friend that had a mobile phone like that in the late 70's. I remember thinking how cool that was. Our next phone(I say OUR because who could afford two mobile phones back then?)weighed in at around 8 or 9 pounds and came in it's own zippered bag. It was as big as a laptop bag but at least you could carry it around if you wanted and weren't held prisoner in the car to talk on it.From there it has gotten easier. The usual progression of smaller, smarter, more colorful, trendy cell phones. I am now the proud owner of a Blackberry. I should have done it long ago. It is the best invention ever and so good in fact that my NON techno savvy husband wants one. He has never been jealous of any new tech gadget I have but this lil BB has him all stirred up. He used one for work a couple of years ago and really fell for it. Anyway, back to the new cell phone number, it's so bad that our children haven't memorized our new house/land line number yet but now they have to purge mommy's cell phone number from their brains and learn a new one. I will keep my old number for a few more weeks to help with the transition and am forwarding all old cell number calls to the new phone. It will take me a month or two to figure out how to do everything on it. Sid and Ri both have it all figured out already so they are tutoring me and will have to help the dad when he transitions.
Got our Christmas cards yesterday so need to get those in the mail. Have some errands to run, it is dark and rainy. Rain...hmm... haven't seen any in a while so it is nice. Bob is actually at the railroad job today, not sure what is going on but he might have a "truck" job since he is cleared for that because he has a class A license. If he gets bumped from that he will be home sooner than later. Costco has kept him busy and according to Bob there is no recession when you see the volume of people and merchandise going in and out of there. Tree is decorated and now will finish decorating the rest of the house, it kinda made me a bit tense last night. Everything I tried to do either fell on to the floor, broke, wouldn't work, it was annoying. It did nothing to get me into that holiday spirit. I even turned of the Johnny Mathis Christmas CD and blasted some Rage Against the Machine to clarify my mood to everyone. Johnny was beginning to look a lot less like Christmas and sounding like he had sucked helium, where as RATM had that angry, angst ridden charm that I needed at that moment. The cats are no help either, they attack every freakin' thing you put on the tree, eat fake greenery and chew on every plastic bag they can find. They may find themselves wrapped up for Christmas gift giving at the local animal shelter if they don't leave my decor alone. I am sure some nice family would love to get a live cat for Christmas. I ended up staying up late and finishing a Christmas tree for Riley's room. It turned out adorable. We painted decorations and put them on a little white tree and I strung a short strand of battery operated white lights on it. It's all in pinks, blacks and silver and matches her room. I will try to post a picture that I took with my new phone!
Okay, enough... I will rise from the chair and go get ready to tackle my day, or I may see my bed and just crawl into it and pull the covers up around my head...

0 comments: