
Cornus florida or The Dogwood. I am obsessed with the Dogwood tree. The spring blooms are the most adorable flower I have ever seen. From what I have read, it isn't really even a flower, it will turn to a leaf. I don't care, they are the cutest flower and wont last much longer. I snapped some photos of some flowers today and as soon as I locate my camera, I will post my own shots. Until then, here are a couple of pics I stole off of the internet. How come no one ever told about the Dogwood before? Living up here in the Great Northwest has gotten to me. I am obsessed with all of the flowering trees, blooms, Rhodies, Camellias, etc. I can't quit staring at them all. This could prove to be dangerous as I am driving or walking down a flight of steps. Even the green leaves are holding me captive. 
I have been a deprived desert girl for too long. We picked up our Craigslist dryer yesterday. The house we went to get it at had a fabulous Wisteria. I love me some Wisteria. One of my favorites. It began in early spring with bulb plants. Early Crocus and Hyacinth, then Jonquils and Daffodils then the gorgeous Tulips! They are like little rainbows in every one's yards. Then came the flowering plums, cherries, etc. flowering "Tulip trees" next and now the Dogwood... Summer holds some pretty flowers as well, the Hydrangeas are to die for... there is another plant that is really cool and the name escapes me. I will ask my cousin as she has a large specimen in her yard. It's a funny name. Oh... Hosta? That may be it.
So there ya go... my obsession with plant and flower life...
4.28.2009
Cornus florida
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(279)
-
▼
April
(29)
- Is there a plan?
- Cornus florida
- The Mundane
- More of the same
- Fast times
- Running on Empty
- Random Random and more Random
- Rain is a Relief
- Introspection
- Happy Birthday to Me
- Whirlwind of Activity
- Copy and Paste
- Moving Day
- Funny... I remember posting a picture similar to t...
- Well, it was fast. The interview was fast. The wom...
- Interview Prep
- Like any other Sunday
- Easter
- My couch and chair in Betsey's cool apartment in A...
- Easter's on it's way...
- Seeing New Things
- A new slideshow
- Another Day Another Dollar
- Oy...What a day...
- Happy Birthday Mom
- Tomorrow
- Who needs a title?
- Whirlwind days
- Another Day Another Box
-
▼
April
(29)
2 comments:
There's a legend about the dogwood and the cross. I found it on Wikipedia. It goes like this:
There is a Christian legend of unknown origin that proclaims that the cross used to crucify Jesus was constructed of dogwood. As the story goes, during the time of Jesus, the dogwood was larger and stronger than it is today and was the largest tree in the area of Jerusalem. After his crucifixion, Jesus changed the plant to its current form: he shortened it and twisted its branches to assure an end to its use for the construction of crosses. He also transformed its inflorescence into a representation of the crucifixion itself, with the four white bracts cross-shaped, which represent the four corners of the cross, each bearing a rusty indentation as of a nail and the red stamens of the flower, represents Jesus' crown of thorns, and the clustered red fruit represent his blood.
The fact that it often blooms on Easter makes it all the more amazing!
-Jennifer
Dogwoods are one of my favs too. We have a pink one in our front yard. Dogwood is the plant of BC, Canada, where Drew is from, so Gail is totally into Dogwoods too. She gave us one that we have in the backyard too.
I think you are thinking correctly, Hosta is the huge thing we have on the side of the house. It is a blub that is planted in the Fall like Tulips. Some bloom, some that we have bloom. I like them lots.
I'm like you, I love the spring when all these flowers start coming out of the ground. It is so beautiful!
Post a Comment